lundi 1 août 2011

The return of the bottles (version abrégée en francais à la fin)

The bottles were finished a quite long time ago, but as usual, I am late with the posting.
These are just a small sample, and I will post a picture of the whole "alchemist's lab"(or at least, of how far it is currently, because I sense it is still going to be ameliorated a lot).
The labels once done, the bottles still looked way too modern. The thread at the neck, bottle-specific designs, and the caps all posed problems.
I replaced the plastic caps of the narrow opening bottles by cork tops, aged using acrylic paint.
The larger caps, with a metal core, were covered with polymer clay. Each top is slightly different from the others, and it was a great way of experimenting with different techniques and the stamps I had at hand. They were given depth after baking using oil paint or acrylic paint (or both, for some), until I was satisfied with the effect.

I covered the visible part of the threads using fine bands of polymer clay (chocolate Fimo classic, finest setting of the pasta machine, and 0.5-0.7cm wide) wrapped around. For the bottles with the cork tops, I competely covered the threads, as they were not going to be of use anyway (left bottle on the picture). For the jars with their original tops, I only went as high as not to disturb the use of the top (middle and right jars). All were given depth after baking using darker acrylic paint.
For larger areas to cover, like the jar in the middle, I used linen cord. I stabilized it after wrapping using white glue, and antiqued it using diluted acrylic paint. I also used white glue, finger painted on the pottles, to take away part of the shine of the glass (not visible on the pictures, as it was performed afterwards). It would probably be better to use some varnish, but I had little time and many kinds react badly with polymer clay.
Each jar looks cool in itself, but they look even better together :

Pour améliorer l'effet visuel des étiquettes, il fallait camoufler le pas de vis, les bouchons, et certains détails des bouteilles.
Pour les bouteilles à col étroit, le plus simple est de remplacer le bouchon à vis en plastique par un bouchon en liège retaillé et assombri à la peinture acrylique. Pour les autres, j'ai recouvert le couvercle d'une couche de Fimo. C'est une bonne occasion pour tester toutes sortes de décos. Après cuisson, il est possible d'ajouter du relief avec de la peinture acrylique ou à l'huile, voire les deux (juste pas en même temps).

La partie visible des pas de vis a été recouverte de bandes fines de Fimo enroulées tout autour (sur tout le pas de vis pour les bouteilles à bouchon en liège, sur la partie visible en faisant bien attention à ne pas entraver le mouvement du couvercle pour les autres). De la peinture acrylique plus sombre a ensuite été utilisée (peinte puis essuyée sur les zones en relief avec un sopalin. Pour couvrir des surfaces plus grandes (comme pour les deux bocaux semblables de la photo au dessus), j'ai utilisé de la ficelle de lin enroulée, fixée avec de la colle à bois et noircie avec de la peinture acrylique diluée. De la colle à bois (ou du vernis) peuvent également être utilisés pour enlever l'aspect brillant du verre.

Aucun commentaire: